St. John St. James was created in the 1960s as the merger of St. John's on Tremont Street, Roxbury Crossing, and St. James on St. James Street, near Washington Street, Roxbury. The maps and photos below provide a look at St. James Episcopal Church.
St. James Episcopal Church, by Allan R. Crite, 1940. View from Washington Street under the elevated orange line tracks. Used with permission from Boston Athenaeum.
St. James Episcopal Church was on St. James Street, near Washington Street, in Roxbury. This map from 1931, from the MapJunction.com website shows the church location. The postcard shows the church (postcard courtesy of Warren Steel).
Today, as shown in this current map also from the MapJunction.com website, St. James Place is a new street, with rows of mixed income affordable townhouses, takes the place that was once the church. The former church was torn down as part of urban renewal in the 1960s.
December 7, 2019